Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 08, 2008

    Rudy Guliani renames "War on Terror"

    On "Morning Joe" on MSNBC Rudy Guliani did a very subtle thing. Look for him to continue to do it and see how fast Fox news picks up on it. He referred to the "War on Terror" as "The Terrorist War on Us."

    He may think that clever. He may even think that it is a more accurate assessment. But in reality, "Terrorist War on Us" implies that we are still the victims. It implies also that the terrorists are much more organized than the are (or should be after 6+ years of being supposedly thrown off their game by our effective Iraq strategy).

    I hope this new name doesn't pick up momentum. Whatever Rudy's advisors think they are achieving by doing this I fear a very negative outcome (which may in fact be their plan). If our leaders can place us once again in the position of victim of the world ( a tough sell on the global stage) they can justify, as recent history suggests, just about any atrocity against created enemies simply by lumping them in to this nebulous 'terrorist' label.

    There are many, many reasons to not vote for Guliani. Add this scary rhetoric to the list.

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I don't think it matters one way or the other what Rudy has to say at this point. As a New Yorker, I'm grateful for his handling of the 9-11 tragedy; period. This said, "rhetoric" and "politics" are synonymous, in my opinion.

    Now, on to the exciting comeback last night for the Lady! Since I'm undecided, as you know, I need her presence for a long while yet. I'm thrilled. It seems, though, that the nullifying voter, with whom I share residence, is very happy about the comeback "kid" on the other side.

    Anonymous said...

    Like Bush he keeps using the fear factor in trying to convince voters he would be the best choice. I think it will backfire.