Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, March 26, 2008

    This is me being politically incorrect!!!

    This is the latest "so-called" news story to distract us from important world events- like say, I don't know- THE WAR.

    The pregnant man story is redicullous. I don't care what people do with their private lives. I really don't. However, a woman who chooses to have cosmetic surgery in order to make herself look like a manwho retains her female reproductive parts is still a woman. Her chromosomes will tell the story. Her existing and functioning female parts will tell the story.

    Cosmetics aside, this person is still a woman.

    What this person along with this person's mate choose to do reproductively is their business. I do not find the story socially redeeming. I do not find it to provide any particular advance to science (for good or ill). I do think it demonstrates a very creepy detail about the lives of two (or arguably three) people that makes me want to run away covering my ears shouting "La la la- I can't hear you!!"

    I did not need to know. I think that at least one of these three people will regret the current media hype at some point. I also think that GLBT groups who are touting this as some kind of 'success' are missing - not making- a broader point.

    What kind of a man- who sees themselves as 'trapped in a female body' would want to change the physical appearance but not the functions that make him definitionally female? A more cynical person, if such a person exists, might suggest that this man/woman is a publicity seeker.

    I find the headlines deceptive and damaging. I find the apparent glee in reporting this story disturbing. But mostly, I just find it creepy.

    I suppose that people will continue to stay glued to this story the way gawkers slow down at car accidents or train wrecks but I think the better course of action would be to impose on these people the privacy that they themselves are not wise enough to seek.

    No comments: