Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, March 11, 2008

    Geraldine Ferraro

    I used to admire this woman. A woman- chosen because she was a woman to make history as the first Woman VP candidate - who has always been a voice for equality and challenging perceptions.

    But what has happened? If I hadn't seen a clip of her saying it I would not have believed it was really her. But this is what she said, as reported by CNN:

    "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept," Ferraro told the newspaper.

    Ferraro said Clinton had suffered because the press "has been uniquely hard on her. It's been a very sexist media. Some just don't like her. The others have gotten caught up in the Obama campaign."

    Oh Boo Hoo!!!

    Admittedly, I am one who has never had to worry particularly about how people are reacting to me because of the color of my skin. But then neither is Ferraro. But I find it extremely disingenuous, calculating and manipulative to suggest that a black man has a better chance than any woman for any position because of the color of his skin.

    History is against her on this one.

    And the sexist media comment seems out of touch as well. After all, it is the Clinton campaign that has managed to badger the media by calling foul any time they perceive they have been criticized (MSNBC most clearly).

    Both the Obama and the Clinton campaigns spend more time apologizing and disavowing their supporters than they do actually campaigning. they spend more time criticizing the other sides tactics than they do defining their own policies.

    The polls in Mississippi show that the voters there feel Clinton is 'more unfair' by 61% to 39%.

    At what point do we decide to raise the bar? The people deserve better.

    If the two remaining candidates work hard enough I believe they will have no problem losing come November.

    For my part- every time I hear a candidate - or a surrogate- cry foul because of the perceived unfairness - I intend to lambast that candidate in this forum.

    No comments: