Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, February 05, 2007

    John Edwards and the others

    I worked for the John Edwards campaign in 2004 and I'm getting ready to sign up again. I was first attracted to him not by his looks (although he is easy to look at) but by his message of hope. When I saw him in Des Moines on Dec 28th his message was - we are in this together and if we want to make this country a better place for our children and grandchildren we have to work at it and we will have to sacrifice. He speaks of how it's going to be hard and if we as a country are not willing to work hard and fight for what we believe in we will never get out of this mess we're in. He talks of how we need to be respected in the world again and how it's going to take someone who is willing to stand up and say things that may not be popular but has to be said. In spite of his personal wealth I truly believe he is for the underdog and for those who struggle every day. To say it as plain as I can - I truly believe that his heart is in the right place.

    In saying that I support John Edwards does not mean I do not support Hillary, Obama or even Tom Vilsak. Yes, Tom Vilsak, the ex-governor of my great state, Iowa. We are SO early in the process that I truly feel that anything can happen. Sure, Hillary is leading now with Obama and Edwards back in the pack. And maybe that's how it will stay but...maybe it won't.

    I like Hillary and I believe she would make a great President but you have to admit she is much more of a moderate than the others and add to that she has what some would say, "some baggage." I think she's strong enough to stand up to what anyone wants to dish out at her but there are some on the left who will back away from her because of her moderate views.

    Obama. I could see this coming when he gave the speech at the Democratic convention in 2004. I told my husband that night that he willl be President some day. But in saying that I'm not sure if this is the time. Sure, he's in the "rock star" status now but when it comes down to getting votes I believe some would hesitate to vote for him. Not because of his skin color but because he lacks experience. His no vote for the war will help but not enough to get him in the lead.

    John Edwards' stand on Iraq is already separating him from the others. He's not afraid to say it's time to pull out of Iraq. No cap on troups, no slow withdrawal. Get out of there in a short period of time. He's also saying he would vote no to the funding. There are a lot of Democrats and Rebublicans who feel as he does so if it comes down to voting for Hillary, Obama or Edwards, he would get the vote. His big drawback would be his chance of winning against the Republican's strongest candidate. He is taking an early stand on health care, which in Iowa and maybe around the country, right behind Iraq as far as what's important to the voters. A week ago on some Sunday morning news a couple of those who were discussing the possible candidates on each side said to not rule out Edwards. He comes from behnid and he may be the best alternative for those Democrats who for a lot of reasons are not sold on Hillary or Obama.

    Tom Vilsack. Don't laugh. He's in the same spot in the polls that Bill Clinton was early in the campaign. Vilsak is no Bill Clinton by any means but again, like Edwards, he is calling for quick withdrawal of the troups in Iraq which separates him from the others. He has the executive experience and he is very well liked by Democrats around the country.

    My dream ticket would be Edwards/Obama or Edwards/Vilsak.

    5 comments:

    Jonathan said...

    Excellent first contribution. This is what I am looking forward to. I also like Edwards a great deal and am looking for more from Richardson as well. This is going to be a fun couple of years.

    Welcome to a site where the threads neer freeze.

    Anonymous said...

    Link to Tom Vilsack for President:

    http://www.tomvilsack08.com/

    Anonymous said...

    This is a wonderful post...very balanced. It took two readings before I realized it was not Jon writing, as I wondered about "...my husband"??!!

    Well-thought-out opinions of each candidate, as they apply in this particular moment in time, with the election and real campaigning yet in the distance.

    MY issue will be the withdrawal from the war. It should have been yesterday, in my opinion. So, with that in mind, may the best man/woman win and keep the promises that earn the votes.

    Anonymous said...

    I also support John Ewards for president for many of the same reasons that you laid out here, while agreeing that this does not mean that "I don't support" others.

    Anonymous said...

    People should read this.