Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, July 18, 2004

    Visit to a fansite gets Political (Part II)

    During a recent visit to iaisnd.com I encountered the following post.
     
    Disappointed in Neil's Political Participation 
     
    One of the things I have always appreciated about Neil Diamond is that, unlike so many of his fellow performers such as Streisand, the Dixie Chicks, etc., he has had the good sense and intelligence to remain silent about his political leanings, not venturing into areas in which he would flaunt his ignorance. Indeed, I have over the years observed that Neil has been a "bipartisan" performer, having performed for both Democrat and Republican functions and leaders. So, I am especially disappointed that he would choose to appear at such a strongly partisan--not to mention absolutely vitriolic--event such as the recent John Kerry fundraiser. Mr. Diamond should remember that many of his fans are Republicans, Independents, or of other parties, and if he seeks to continue keeping THIS particular fan's support, he will think twice before he becomes involved in another hate-fest against any candidate--Republican, Democrat, Independent, or otherwise. His participation in this recent event showed poor taste and bad judgment, and I have a higher opinion of Neil Diamond than this particular behavior demonstrates.
     
    Given that the above post past muster with the strict "no politics" code of the board I thought that a factual response would surely be allowed.  I will try here to reconstruct it as best I can.  It was deleted.
     
    In fact Neil has been political in the past.  Back in the early 70's Neil had what only could be described as a "Dixie Chick' moment when during the recording of "Gold, Live at the Troubrador" (during the Vietnam war) he said. "this is being recorded for our boys overseas, and uh, in Canada."
     
    From all that I have heard about this event there is nothing about the way Neil carried himself that would suggest participation in a vitriolic hate-fest.  Nor would I say that he excercised anything close to poor taste, or bad judgement.  After all he didn't give anyone the "one-finger wave" (like GW Bush) nor did he tell anyone to perform an anatomical impossibility on themselves (ala Dick Cheney).
     
    When asked for a reason for my post being deleted, the board host said this:
     
    "Your remarks about President Bush and Vice President Cheney were uncalled for.  I suppose you have forgotten about the "Rollingstone" interview.  You never seem to mention it.  I will continue to delete posts that take pot-shots at candidates or any other posters."
     
    To which I responded:
     
    I respectfully disagree.  The original poster accused Neil of participating in a vitriolic hate-fest and said that this has not been characteristic of Neil's past.
     
    I pointed out a past comment Neil made (almost 30 years ago) that disputes his facts.  Further I challenged whether or not singing songs at a fund-raiser could be characterised as participating in a vitriolic "hate-fest" or "flaunting his ignorance."
     
    I put all of this in the context of foul language and inappropriate behavior used by the candidates this guy obviously supports.  While doing so I was careful not to use such language myself.  What kind of strange world do we live in if we can criticize performers and others for supporting candidates but cannot criticize the candidates themselves.  It seems then that we are forced to choose candidates based on whether or not Britany Spears likes them.
     
    I don't know what "Rolling Stone" interview you are talking about but if it serves to contradict anything I have said I would like to know about it.
     
    If you want to avoid any of these situations it might make sense to delete the first post and any like it that might elicit responses like the one I offered.  If the site chooses to stay out of politics you should be consistent. 
     
    All of this is prelude to what I hope will become a very productive political debate where ALL SIDES are welcome.  Foul language and outright rudeness will be the exceptions and i hope everyone will hold each other accountable, but I created this site so that differing view can come together for lively discourse.  Enjoy

    No comments: