Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, July 18, 2004

    Visit to a fan Site gets Political (Part I).

    I admit it, I have a problem with Entertainers who speak out about issues and think we care precisely because of their celebrity.   However,  I got into a broil recently on a Neil Diamond fan site over this issue.
     
    For background,  I find I have very little in common with the likes of Barabra Striesand, Bono, Whoopi Goldberg, Mel Gibson and the countless others who think I care about their politics because they are celebrities.  So, mostly I wish they would all shut up and go away.  Leonardo DiCapprio's support has never made me jump up in support of any candidate.
     
    But,  does that mean I should get into a snit if a celebrity that I like supports a political candidate at a fundraising rally, by doing the very thing that made that celebrity famous?  I believe there is a significant difference. 
     
    Such was the case late last month when Neil Diamond appeared at a fundraising event for John Kerry.  he did what one might expect him to do.  He sang his songs.  Four of them according to reports, including his dpopular duet with BS.   I didn't get all bunched up about it.  Frankly, I didn't get that excited when Arnold decided to run for Governor of Caliornia and it (regretably) didn't keep me from seeing T3.
     
    Fundamentally I think there is a big difference between a celebrity becoming the news story by spewing there posititions on every issue that exists and choosing to participate in the system by using their craft to raise money for their candidate or even running for office.
     
    The question we all have to figure out is- "when does the line get crossed?".  For me it happens somewhere between Neil Diamond singing at a fundraising event and Kelsey Grammar ranting about being "blacklisted' because of his political views.
     
    What are your thoughts?  When is a celebrity just being a citizen and when are they being a blow-hard?  Concrete examples are most helpful.

    No comments: