Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 12, 2010

    Reuben

    Reuben was a friend of mine…


    At first glance he looked so weak,
    Shaking with fear and future bleak.
    Caged in, closed off, trembling, alone.
    His pain so great, he’d sit and groan.

    He was so weak he could barely stand.
    In gentle love I gave my hand.
    Slowly, closer, he checked me out.
    Filled with fear and racked with doubt.

    In time he would grow strong again,
    And he would love me, my dear friend.
    I held him close, embraced his pain.
    I took him in from cold and rain.

    He had known such pain and loss,
    Neglected, starved and temper-tossed.
    We fit together like hand in glove.
    In my arms he knew true love.

    He learned to sing along with me
    He believed in happy endings he.
    Our years together were filled with joy.
    He learned to dance my happy boy.

    His coat was thick when fully grown.
    When he was good he got a bone.
    The leash was his most favorite treat.
    The joy of that could not be beat.

    Then came the end as I knew it would.
    He knew exactly where he stood.
    I held him when at last he died.
    Recalling his life, I laughed and cried.

    2 comments:

    Sollfire said...

    Jon, I had not visited in such a long time... so happy I thought to check you out. Your "new" blog is great and your poetry so deep and expressive. Reuben's is the one I chose to comment under, as I recall his life and his death from days gone by, when we somewhat interacted on this board or that. What great testimony to just how very much our pets mean to us and visa versa. Having said this, I could easily dissect, analyze and comment on any of your works. Have you thought to have your blog printed? I'm posting with my "real" name and inviting you to my blog, as well. Kind regards; I'll be back. Nicki-NY, ND Fan

    Jonathan said...

    Thanks Nicki- glad you found me again