Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, August 13, 2004

    Mommy, who do you love more?

    Okay, I just don't get it!! I just saw an ad for GW Bush for president. It is one of these smarmy things where the camera is cocked at a goofy angle showing he and Laura together (reminiscent of Dockers ads of the early 90's).

    One of his lines, which makes no sense at all : "I can't imagine what it must have been like for a parent on September 11th to choose which child to pick up first."

    "What the hell was that? " I thought as I heard him say it. Am I now supposed to recall in my mind how I would make such a choice? I can almost imagine kids asking, "why did you pick up Billy first?"

    I suppose it is an attempt to make us feel as we did that dreadful morning and make us think that we can't let that happen again. Fair enough. But it doesn't do that for me. It makes me wonder, "what the hell is he talking about?" and "who scripted this?"

    If you are not paying attention this could be thought of as a "positive ad' and in fact it looks quite pleasant. But the reality is that this add, however ineffective, is intended to instill fear.

    A great Kerry counter ad would be to show Bush dujring those "7 minutes". A voice-over could be added ala Michael Moore: "Which twin should I pick up first? Hmmn, tough call."

    No comments: