Lost, on a painted sky...

Lost,  on a painted sky...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, May 28, 2007

    Sacrifice Remembered

    Memorial Day - In March of 1996, while visiting the city of Sydney Australia in order to see a certain vocalist and company perform, I witnessed the way the Aussies honor their military fallen for Anzac Day. It was about 10 AM and the whole city, it seemed, shut down at once. The sound of bagpipes- I love bagpipes- began softly and soon filled very corner of the city as these groups converged on the city square for a parade which included representatives of all the troops who fought and fell in the battle of Anzac.

    It was a spectacle that made me embarrassed for the way we in the US celebrate Memorial Day with picnics and car sales.

    That particular morning will live on for a long time in my memory and has made me take our commemoration of our soldiers and their sacrifice much more solemnly.

    Enjoy the day, but do take time out to be thankful for those who make it possible.

    No comments: